Rob / Admin

Go down

Rob / Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Hello.

Right I am Rob. It also seems I am the Admin for this forum - serves me right for starting it up I guess.

I have been a Samaritans volunteer for eight years and have held a few positions in my Branch at Farnborough, Hants. I am currently a Leader, email co-ordinator and a trainer. I really enjoy the training , seeing New Samaritans joining the branch with a new set of skills and being able to take calls is something I find particularly rewarding.

I started running about four years ago when I was press-ganged into entering a mini-triathlon as part of a team - we were raising money for three local charities. I dreaded the running section, but at the end I realised it was the section I enjoyed the most. I went on to take part in a number of 10K's and half marathons.

In 2008 I mentioned to our branch fund raiser that I would be willing to run the London Marathon for the branch - which I did. I did discover that raising the money was almost as tough as the training - don't let that put you off though - the sense of achievement in getting the money in the bank is awesome. So is crossing the finishing line!

I work for a small, boring part of the Royal Bank of Scotland. I got married in 1990 (I'll let you do the sums!) to Kay - who has long suffered my commitment to Samaritans - good job Kay was a volunteer too for a while.

We have a son, Jack who is nine years old and a good boy!

That will do for now.

Next!

Rob

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://samsflm2009.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Introductions

Post  JSIMMONDS on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:59 am

This does sound a little AA but here we go. My name is Jon and I am a runner.

'Twas not always so. I used to be a run-of-the-mill couch potato. I played football once a week and after I turned thirty, I started to notice that my fitness levels (which had never been good) were apalling. I resolved to do something about it, so I joined a gym 3 years ago. I kept that up for 2 years, but when my daughter's school hosted a 10km fun run, I thought I would enter. Realising that I spent most of my gym time on the treadmill, I ditched the gym membership and hit the streets.
The 10km was March 2008 and was my first race. It was all off road and digustingly muddy and wet (it had rained continuously for about the last 3 weeks) and I fell over a couple of times and came home covered in mud, but happy.

Since then, I have well and truly got the bug, entering a number of races culminating most recently in the Great South Run this October. The marathon only became the goal after being inspired by seeing it on the telly!

I have always thought the work of Samaritans to be important and under appreciated, and so they have been the beneficiary of a monthly donation from me for a long time now.

Quick profile - 35 years old, married for 7 years now to Susan with 2 children - Ella, aged 5 and three quarters (the three quarters is vital); and Charlie, just about to turn 3. Here is the only piccie I have of me running a 10km run, and my daugher on a 1km fun run!

Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

Ruth / Rufus

Post  Rufus on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Ok where to start - I'm Ruth and I still don't think of myself as a runner.

I am 31 (just this month!) and think I am happy with the aging process, except for that extra band of flesh that didn't used to exist around my waist that feels impossible to remove now! My hardest birthday was actually 29 - had a moment when I needed a 5 year plan, so yes you guessed it - this was a part of it. I have to admit I entered the ballot thinking that I'd just take the luck of the draw, if I was in I was in and if not then better luck next year. But no - the moment that magazine landed on my door mat I knew that if I could find a charity I wanted to support whole-heartedly to run for then I would go for it.

I feel a sense of awe for Samaritan volunteers, very selfless and I can only imagine strong enough in oneself to support others. I am not sure it is something I could do myself and therefore am glad to have found another way to contribute.

Other info - I ran the Reading Half at the beginning of this year, but took a total break afterwards which put me back to square one. I was happy with my time but then I am a very slow runner and annoyingly I can't see to get my legs to move any quicker. That's me really - oh married, no kids (yet).

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sazzle/Sarah

Post  sazzle on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Hello

Sarah here. I live and work in Salisbury Wiltshire (civil servant for MoD for my sins). I was a keen runner at school but it sort of fell by the wayside for my first two years of university. In my final year I decided to get fit again and gave up smoking. It was very disheartening at first as could barely run a few miles without feeling like my lungs were on fire but I am pretty stubborn so kept at it I now run for Salibsury running club and have done a couple of half marathons and numerous 10k's etc. Running FLM has always been a big aspiration of mine so i'm really excited about running in the Samaritans team.

Personal profile bit: I'm 25 (26 in 3 weeks!), no other half and no kids yet!
sazzle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rob / Admin

Post  ajmcd on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:14 pm

Hey im Adam.

ok that was the easy bit to write now whats next lol.....

I am 22 years old and work as a dancer at disneyland resort paris. I have never really been interested in long distance running as my dancing rugby and athletics tended to keep me busy throughout school and college. I have a keen intrest in sport and love a good challenge.

Im probably the lazy one of the group. I hate getting out of bed in a morning and love my car too much to go anywhere by foot.Oops wrong thing to say in a running group eh lol. Generally i'm more into team sports however the london marathon is something I have wanted to do since i was about 13/14.

I have a 13 week plan for my running which i hope i will stick to and i plan to start around the 14th of january lol. Hope and Plan are the key words in that sentence lol.

I am moving into an apartment in paris with my partner Kevin next month
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Mo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:54 am

Hi Everyone - I'm Bruce and I've just been added to the team for this. I'm 41 and to be honest, until I actually cross the line in april, I dont think I will believe its actually possible for me to do a marathon! I remember one of my best friends doing a couple of marathons about 20 years ago and going out running with him one night. I think I lasted about 15 or 20 minutes and turned round to walk home and resolved that I would never be able for this running lark. I really only started running in the last year and tried a couple of 10k's over the summer, which again I doubted I would even finish, but was pleasantly surprised. This marathon is going to be a personal challenge for me, to get out and train regularly in the rain and cold and put all the frustrations of work and life aside and maintain my determination.

As for my reasons for wanting to run for the Samaritans, i have worked for a number if years in Substance Misuse, doing admin work. Over the years, we get lots of phone calls from people who have reached rock bottom and crisis. Outr policy is to give them the number of the Samaritans or other organisations, but sometimes it seems more appropriate to just listen and sympathise. Sometimes the difference you can make to someone's mood by just listening is quite remarkable. Maybe we just live in a world now where people expect nobody will listen to them. I guess thats why i would like to do my but to raise some money for the Samartitans.

Anyway I'm looking forward to sharing my training experiences with everyone over the months. Hopefully it wont be as tough as I am dreading!

Bruce Mo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Introductions

Post  ptc575757 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Hello everybody,
First time I've done one of these bloggy things, so it will be wrong no doubt. Well it looks like I am the Daddy of the run. I have had to get a special zimmer made, well I am 58... not far off 60... now that is old! I now have a great excuse to be last.
I am now well into my training, started in early oct and have now managed to cover 335run miles, 193 bike miles and 69 treadmill miles. My speed is like a fast walk 6.5 mph ish. I've managed a few long run's of over 2hours none stop, around 12/13miles ish. In the last couple of weeks I seem to have gone backwards with the training, but don't know why?? seems to be getting harder. I have been a Sam volunteer for some 16years now, it's part of my life, so it is nice to be able to run for the Samaritans. I am not quite sure whats the hardest part of all this event ... the running or the collecting of monies. All I know is that's is costing me loads of money in sponsoring others . I will now try and go to other sections of the site to ask you all lots of questions. Oh by the way, I'm based in Preston , up north, anybody near me?

Grandad Phil.

Last edited by ptc575757 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:26 am; edited 4 times in total

ptc575757

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/philipcurwen

Back to top Go down

Welcome

Post  Rob on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi to everyone who has introduced themselves. You are very welcome to join in the chat here.

I guess it doesn't all have to be about running or Samaritans. If anyone wants a new area set up for chat about, well, anything really - just drop me a message and I'll set it up for you.

Hope you are all getting on with your chosen programmes. I am, so far, managing to stick to mine. It is fairly easy at the moment as it is new and I am keen. I think the challenge, for me will be in a few weeks time when the novelty has worn of a bit. That is when I will need to start making a weekly pledge and sticking to it!

Cheers

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hi

Post  mummylonglegs on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not posting something up before now!

My name is Linda Garland and my nickname is mummylonglegs ..... given to me by an ex boyfriend many years ago and has kind of stuck.

Briefly a little about myself .... hope it is not too boring. I am 45 .... 46 on february the 11th. When at school I used to run loads and then I discovered music and boys. so the running kind of got forgotten about. When I left school I trained to be a nurse in London, after 3 years i was one. I then went on to qualify in children's nursing in Brighton. I carried on nursing until I became pregnant with my son called Miles who will be 11 on February 4th ..... wow where did that time go. I loved nursing, but like many nurses sustained a bad back injury that required me to have a big operation. Basically I left nursing when I was pregnant and enjoyed being a mother.

I did all the normal mothering stuff and once my son was 5 I bravely left my partner. I had been very unhappy with this relationship for years. This change in my life was such a shock my to my system I started getting very depressed and found myself spending many an hour talking to the Samaritans .... who knows without those long calls I may not be here now? My mental health continued to baffle me, because I was either in the pits of depression or as high as a kite. Just over two years ago I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar 2. Once I had a diagnosis I quickly learnt how to help control by highs and lows. Yes .... one of those was exercise! So I started running again and joined a lovely gym just outside Brighton.

Now I have a loverly new partner called Tim, who is an amazing bloke and I have pinch myself regularly to make sure I am not just dreaming! I work on a local radio station as a presenter doing a manic breakfast show and trying to learn how to drive those desks. Also I do charity work and got heavily involved with The Willow Foundation last year and helped them raise in excess of £40,000!! It was great fun I had the tough job of meeting celebrities and collecting art canvases from them.

I hope this gives you some insight about me ...... and I have not bored you stiff.

It would be great if any of you want to join my facebook .... my name on it is mummy longlegs.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better before the big day.

Love
Linda xxx
mummylonglegs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hi Linda

Post  Rob on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:32 am

Hi again - we met at the London launch do.

Glad things are good for you now - by the sounds of it you should be the one giving us an idea of iPod tracks!

How is the sale of the celeb paintings going?

Cheers

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Introducing myself

Post  Brisbit on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:38 am

Hi All

I'm Alison and I've just joined the Samaritans team :-)

I foolishly decided to apply for the Marathon in 'celebration' of a significant birthday this year and was totally shocked when I actually got a ballot place at my first attempt! Since then I've been alternately really excited and really scared and everything in between, but I think I'm looking forward to the day itself...

Been running for a number of years, but due to various joint problems I've only ever done 5km races, and slowly at that! Training is so far going well in some ways (I can run and breathe at the same time now) and not so well in other ways (my knees hurt!) - my husband is doing all my training runs with me (even though he's not taking part himself) so at least he's sharing in the pain!!!

Look forward to getting to know people here, and maybe being overtaken by some of you on the day!

Alison x
Brisbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Putting an end to lurking.....

Post  Simbux on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:01 am

Hi all, thought I should really say hello after mooching around the forum for a while! I'm Simon, 37, live in West London and this'll be my second marathon. I ran last year for Sams on a Golden Bond place which I got at the last moment when someone dropped out - well, I say last moment, 10 weeks before anyway! Race plan went up the wall, and ended up in 4:24. So entered the ballot and was a gobsmacked to get a place i it, I was banking on getting 5 'no' ballot places and then being guaranteed a place! So here I am again - and am running for Sams again. Only having a 1 year gap is making me a bit more sheepish going back to people who sponsored me last year - but you have to be brazen. Am aiming for 4 hours this year......we'll see how the training works out!

Simbux

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hello!

Post  Rob on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:39 am

Sounds as though we ought to run together if we can - I am aiming for four hours or a bit less. Our times last year were only a few minutes apart so we may pace each other quite nicely!

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hello!

Post  Lee the Pea on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 am

Hi everyone, thought I ought to add myself to the list and say hello!

I'm Lee (girl!) and this is my first marathon, gulp! I've been running for a couple of years, but my training has been inconsistent at best, so i still think of myself as a beginner. I completed a half in Oct 2007, and it took me 2 hrs 38, even though I ran all the way! So as you can see, i'm not fast, and won't be breaking any marathon records, but I love running, and i'm really please to be running the London Marathon this year. Also slightly terrified, but more pleased than anything! I joined the Sams as a volunteer with Perth branch in late 2005, then I moved to Edinburgh, but i've actually just left recently. Unfortunately I just don't have as much time to commit these days, but I'd like to go back to it in the future. I still think Sams is a really worthy cause, and i'm happy to raise money in support. I'm about half way to the fundraising target at the moment, so hopefully i'll get the rest of the way!

Other info - single with no kids, hope that will change one day! 33 years old, but i seem to be in denial as i've told people recently i'm 30, and only realised later what i had said?! Maybe I am getting younger..... Live in Edinburgh and i work at the airport. I always wanted to run a marathon, and never thought i'd be able to too, until one day I just thought 'why not?', so here I am Laughing

Looking forward to hopefully meeting a lot of you on the day,
Lee x
Lee the Pea

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/leethemarathonrunningpea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down