Afternoon all Samaritans runners! How'd your training?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Afternoon all Samaritans runners! How'd your training?

Post  JSIMMONDS on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:17 am

Thought I'd start the ball rolling....

Slightly tight hamstring today - must stop worrying about it though. Played football yesterday, badminton today. Will go for a run tomorrow and Friday and Sunday. I reckon in the new year, either the football or the badminton is gonna have to go.

Good to meet everyone the other night. How is everyone else's training going?
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

Re: Afternoon all Samaritans runners! How'd your training?

Post  Rob on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Well, training is not going too bad ta. Well, what little I have done has been good - need to get back to those early mornings I suppose.

Went out on Saturday and it took a good mile for my hands to warm up - brrr.

edit - btw I moved this thread to the Training area... Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Training

Post  Lucia on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi Jon,

Training isn't going too bad thanks, I went running with the club last night and to my horror when I went to get changed at work, discovered I'd put my short trousers in my bag not my long ones! I will take the time to check properly next week before I leave home! It just made sure that I ran faster to keep warm. I've got a break this weekend as I'm away visiting friends in Italy but the weekend after I'm doing the Hog's Back 8 race which has a 3.5 mile hill to climb at the start - at this point, I'm wondering why I entered it in the first place! Smile

It was great to meet everyone the other night, how is Susan's foot? It sounds like you're a busy man with the football and badminton too! I hope you enjoy your runs on Friday and Sunday, I'll catch up again early next week once I'm back.
Lucia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JSIMMONDS on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:40 am

Hi
Well, yesterday's run was interesting. Met up with a work colleague who I vaguely know but is also doing the marathon for the charity Merlin (boooo, hiss - I tried to convince him to see the error of his ways and join Samaritans Run The World, but to no avail).
Anyway, I had no idea how accomplished he would be.

Oh my god.

Four miles - 30 minutes, 30 seconds. I have NEVER run that fast in my life. I was absolutely exhausted!

Good workout.
Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

Training

Post  Francis Thompson on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi all,

Got back into training after a fairly lazy week last week- going quite well but I'm taking it reasonably easy until after Christmas. Gonna start the fundraising this weekend. Hope you're all going well... we should all try to catch up if we can after the festive season- perhaps those of us in London could go for a run one weekend

F

Francis Thompson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Well, I've not really run very much in the last week and need to get back to it.

I did, however go to a gig on Friday and was leaping and dancing for nearly five hours - does that count?

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Phew!

Post  Sara on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:40 am

Hi all

I'm a complete beginner to this running lark so do you think if I ask the nice people at the FLM office really REALLY nicely, they'll let me run 26 miles on the treadmill? I've only just done my first outside run and it was so hard!! Wish someone had warned me about that before I said yes to Lucia ...!

Anyway, back to the gym tonight and aiming for 45 mins tonight ... like I said ... complete beginner!

S

Sara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jen on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 am

Sara, I feel your pain. I'm also a complete beginner and trying really hard to force myself out running! So far my efforts have been less successful than I'd have hoped...

Jen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JSIMMONDS on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:18 am

Keep at it Jen and Sara. You will be amazed at how quickly your endurance and fitness builds up.
I was a total waster not long ago. Now I can run for nearly two hours without stopping. If you'd have asked me whether that was possible a year ago I would have laughed in your face!

In short, if I can do it, anyone can!

Good luck - we're all with you all the way!

Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:57 am

Jen / Sara

I can only say what Jon already said - keep at it. At one time I could not manage more than about 10 mins running without needing a break - by sticking at it I managed a bit more each time.

I sometimes play little games in my head to pass the time:

Think of people I have met with first names from A - Z
Band names / Artists beginning with A - Z - I have played this out loud with a partner too. I sometimes try to think of two for each letter.

Anyone got any other ways of keeping the brain occupied?

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Francis Thompson on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Can't say a lot more than the others- I think just take it slowly at first and don't push too hard or it'll probably make you dread your running sessions. We've still got a fair bit of time- I suppose I'd say concentrate on going out regularly and gradually building up the time. As the others have said you'll soon find that your body gets more used to it and it'll be surprising how quickly the distance will come up....

Good luck

F

Francis Thompson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Damn that Primrose Hill!

Post  JSIMMONDS on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:59 am

Yesterday's lunchtime run - 3.5 miles, including over Primrose Hill from south to north. My lord, that is one steep incline. I only made it up there by following Rob's advice on naming bands beginning with each letter of the alphabet. Thanks Rob!

Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

WOW

Post  Sara on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:48 am

Thanks all for your words of encouragement. I didn't make 45 minutes last night (booo!) but did get to half an hour before it all just became too much. All I could think about was how I was going to find the energy to walk home and cook dinner!

Rob - I'm amazed you can actually speak while running! I think that's my next goal. Smile

S

Sara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Darn icy mornings...

Post  Rufus on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Loving reading all of these updates and up until mid last week I thought I was doing ok. Having a bit of a low now though as though I am not really a morning person, my mid week runs are easier to fit in earlier in the day. So my problem now is that it is too icy to go outside... which means I am stuck on the treadmill (which I find dull and less healthy). The problem with the end of the day is that it is cold and I'm hungry and once I get into my house, that's it for me! Does this get easier as the winter goes on? scratch

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

training hmmm

Post  ajmcd on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:21 am

hey guys erm training is going slowly hey im honest lol

im dancing with work 5 days a week so its cool for my fitness side erm getting the miles in is going slowly - im finding it hard getting up earlier and running to work in this cold - i think its to do with the ice on the ground in paris which makes me jump in my car lol

suppose will get into it now i just baught some new running shoes lol

did manage 2 ten mile runs without a stop and i was fine after so i guess im being a little bit lazy lol
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre FLM Runs

Post  sazzle on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Hello everybody

I couldnt make the launch night unfortunately, shame I couldnt meet some of the rest of the team!

Training is going OK, I run with my club on a Wednesday night - for those new to running I would recommend joining a local running club, I wouldnt be put off by thinking that everyone is going to be super fast because we have new people joining ours every week, everyone runs at their own pace and there is always someone to run/jog/walk with! I find my club nights very motivating espcially now its cold and dark outside most of the time!

Does anyone have any other races they have entered in the build up to FLM?
I'm doing Bramley 20miles in February near Reading, Isle of Wight Ryde 10miles, Salisbury 10miles and Reading half marathon end of March.
Sarah Smile
sazzle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hi everyone!

Post  katieb on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:18 am

hi there,

i'm afraid I couldn't make it to the London event, but i'm looking forward to meeting some fellow masochists on the 24th. is anyone else training in the east midlands area? if so, it'd be great to meet you to go out on the odd run or two?!

i've just been reading some of the posts on here so i know some people are new to running - i was too a couple of years ago, so i just wanted to say - don't panic! i think it is fair to say that i'm not a natural athlete, but i decided not to care whether i'm slower/heavier/pantier (is that a word?) than your average runner and started training to run the Robin Hood Half Marathon. i was really proud of myself when i crossed the finish line in 2hrs 11mins and i reckon that if i can do it, anyone can!

i'm about to go from running 2 or 3 times a week to full training, but i one thing i did learn from my previous training - after learning the hard way - was that it is really important to give your body a breather from running every now and then. we're all built differently, but i've learned that whilst i'm not a fast runner, i do have plenty of stamina and to give myself the best chance of keeping going, i'm better off giving myself a breather once or twice a week.

if you'd asked me five years ago if i'd have run a half marathon, i'd have chortled away at the very idea of it. but, i've really come to love running, especially on a bright day, in the countryside and there's definitely something to said for the enormous sense of wellbeing (thanks Parklife!) i get out of it. i'm still not a skinny minnie, i'm still not fast, i'm still better off running to my own agenda, but i really love it now. Very Happy

quite how much i'm going love it after 26 miles is anyone's guess, but it'll be interesting finding out!! pale

anyway, here's to an athletic start to 2009!!!

best wishes,

katie
x

katieb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Training Plan

Post  Rufus on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:03 am

Hello All,

Just getting round to creating a plan for the next 4 months and wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where to look for help/advice on training plans?

Ideally looking to complete the marathon in 4.5 hours (though completing it is still the main target).

Thanks in advance!

Ruthx

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Training plan

Post  JSIMMONDS on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:12 am

I have a book called "4 hour marathon in 4 months" which is really slim and very easy to follow (not that I am following it!).

Runner's World also seem to offer some training plans. This one is the "Get you round" plan, which looks to be enough for a roughly 4.5 hour marathon to me (being the expert that I am, I don't think) - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=108.

Didn't we get some recommended training plans at the launch date? I can't remember.

I also need a training plan - but one for about 13 weeks, as that is the amount of time I will have left by the time I get back to running. Any ideas?

Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

Training Plan

Post  Rob on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:26 am

As Jon says, take a look at the Runners World website - you can get yourself added to a mailing list.

Once on it you get a weekly email with suggested runs and rest days and a load of tips 'n stuff too.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2111

I used it partially last year and it seems to work out pretty well.

The other site I used is Asics: http://www.myasics.nl/uk/home/register.php with this site you can customise your training plan a bit more - so in Jon's case he can schedule in some cross training sessions and then get the running bit sorted when he is able to in as many weeks as there are left. You can specify your goal time, how many training sessions each week etc.

In addition you can log what you did and how it was.

Good luck!
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Podcasts

Post  Sara on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:34 am

Hi all

Wishing you a very happy new year!

Lovely helpful posts here ... *trots over to Runners World website for a mooch*!

Santa loved me very much this year and bought me a sparkly pink ipod. I'm sure I've seen something somewhere about running podcasts ... can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm not sure if they're music or talking or a mixture of both but I'm loving being an ipod geek and downloading stuff, so something useful would be brilliant!

S

Sara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Running podcasts

Post  JSIMMONDS on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:10 am

Try this web site. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/. There are a selection of podcasts under the "multimedia section". Not 100% sure how you download them though.
Also try here: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/rss.xml

Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

Getting there very slowly

Post  Angela121 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:56 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first attempt on this site.

I'd had a lay off from running after 12 October when I got a knee injury. Was a bit of a shock and I won't take my body for granted so much in the future - basically an overuse injury.

I started running again in early December taking it really easy with 20 minute jogs to begin and am now up to 10k distance again with only the odd niggle in my knee.

I will keep up with monthly physio visits (I go to someone in Old Street who I highly recommend) and make sure I have a rest day after each run - it seems to be helping.

I am going to follow hte runners world training programme plus my running club leader has given me another.

This morning managed 8.5 miles which I am very happy about - not about how cold it was though!

Am cross trainig with swimming as I believe this will keep my risk of future injury down.

The main challenge seems to be getting the motivaiton to go out and run in the cold! Once I'm out there it feels just fine. My running club help with that as I go regularly every Mon and Weds, as well as cajoling friends to meet up and run with me.

Good luck everyone.

Angela

Angela121

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Training

Post  ptc575757 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:18 am

Hello everyone

Had a pretty good run on Sunday, just short of 17 miles.... nearly none stop, only slowed down/walked a little due to traffic and lots of mud on the canal bank (didn't want to get wet) but the only down side was it took me 2hrs 50min ... but I did it. Last week (rest week..um!) I only did 10 miles running and 18miles on the Mountain bike with my son in the lakes , we didn't get snow, which makes a change for us Northeners. Not overtraining does make a big difference to your performance. My long run target is 3hrs, 17/18 miles without feeling near to death. I've now cut down my shorter runs and gone for less but longer runs, it seems to work for me, don't get as tired (Age Concern tip, or was that from Saga) I've stopped taking ' High 5' carb supplements, didn't agree with my system.. I'll stick with 'jelly babies', fruit juice and Sanatogen. I am now doing so well I've set myself a new time target of ... wait for it..... 4hr 57min 31sec, affraid
ha, impressed or what!!!!!! I wish my fundraising was going as well as my running, it seems to have stopped for the time being.

Grandad Phil

ptc575757

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/philipcurwen

Back to top Go down

Great going

Post  Rufus on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Phil - that is great going. You managed to keep 10min miles up for 17 miles (and that was about a month ago!!). As my distances have increased my speed has slowed even more - currently 10.5 - 11 min miles. Longest run so far is 13 miles. Next week will be the first time I have run further than 13.1 miles in my entire life :-)

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next