Expected finishing times

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Expected finishing times

Post  JSIMMONDS on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:38 am

Okay so what time is everyone expecting to finish in?
I had a few goals (one of which was to run two yards behind Nell McAndrew the whole way Very Happy ).
My goal was 4 hours, but since the ankle injury that is definitely out so my new goal is to finish (under 5 would be nice).

Anyone else?
Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

Time

Post  Rob on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:01 am

Well I want to get round in sub 4 hours.

3:45 or thereabouts would be fantastic.

I just need to stick to my training... Exclamation
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Finishing Time

Post  ptc575757 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:17 am

Grandad Phil here,

Times um..... 1st target , to get to the race without injuries. 2nd target , finish in the same day I started. 3rd target under 5 hours (told you I was slow) but lets see. What I am worried about is the 'wall' when will I hit it, and will I be able to hit back. How long does it take to walk 26 miles? I suppose I could run/walk/run/crawl...... but I will finish.

ptc575757

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/philipcurwen

Back to top Go down

Finishing

Post  Rufus on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:31 am

I'd just like to ditto the comments made by 'Grandad Phil' - in fact you might be the perfect running partner for me - but I totally agree on the targets - (i) get to the start (ii) get to the end (iii) under 5rs (iv) if I am being brave - closer to 4hr30m than 5hrs.

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Expected finishing times

Post  ajmcd on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:25 am

im going for under 3 hours think i can do it from wat i done so far
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Expected Finishing Times

Post  Lucia on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 am

I'd love to say 4 - 4.30 hours but I think realistically it will around 5. If you're following Nell McAndrew round Jon, I think I'd like to tail James Cracknell. I did see Gordon Ramsey running round Richmond Park on Sunday, so he would do! Smile

Really and truly, I just want to get there and enjoy it, I'll be thrilled with anything around the 4.30 mark but if I don't make it this time...well, there is always the next one!

Cool
Lucia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Expected finishing times

Post  JSIMMONDS on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:35 am

Lucia - you and I may be looking at similar times. My training hasn't really suffered as much as I had feared due to the injury and now I am back at it, I'm looking at 4 - 4.30 if I can.

I really can't think about "the next one" yet!
Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

Last one home!!!!

Post  ptc575757 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 am

Just had a thought, will there be anybody left in the tent , when I'm the last one home...... I don't want to miss my 'rub down' suppose the 'Age Concern' tent will be just opening up after five hours, so I'll have to go there Sleep

Grandad Phil

ptc575757

Back to top Go down

Finishing Times

Post  Lucia on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Ahhh Phil, have a little faith - you'll probably leave me standing! I'm sure Stephen and Ann won't abandon you to the Age Concern tent just yet Smile

Jon - I'm glad to hear that you're training hasn't suffered with the ankle injury, its a real relief when you find that you haven't got to start over again. Fingers crossed that it only gets better from here on in and the 4 - 4.30 time becomes reality Smile

Take care

Lucia
Lucia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Target time...

Post  Brisbit on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Such a relief to find I'm not the only one just aiming to finish! Would love to get in under 5 hours but then thinking of the potential publicity for being the slowest finisher ever...
Brisbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

nicker

Post  ptc575757 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:29 am

Hey Alison,

Don't you dare nick my title........ last one home, I was planning on that, it will be the only one I will ever win. Sad

Grandad Phil

ptc575757

Back to top Go down

Slowest Marathon ever

Post  Brisbit on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:30 pm

Grandad Phil,

It all just depends on how co-operative my body is on the day! But it'd be great publicity for Samaritans to have the TWO slowest finishers ever wouldn't it?!?!?

I'll see you at the back of the pack on 26th April Wink

Alison
Brisbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I'll win.....

Post  Lee the Pea on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:27 pm

....the last Sam home medal! Well my half marathon time is 2:38, so my marathon will be minimum 5:20, but i'm thinking likely nearer 5:30 as a minimum. To be honest as long as I finish, I don't care how long it takes!!! So Grandad Phil, if the Sams tent has closed down by then, i'll be knocking on the Age Concern door and demanding a massage from someone....if you're unlikely i might make you do it! hahaha sunny
Lee the Pea

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/leethemarathonrunningpea

Back to top Go down

Last Samaritan home...

Post  Brisbit on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Lee,

It sounds like we're on pretty much the same timing so far... My half marathon time was just a few minutes longer than yours. I reckon we should be able to beat Grandad Phil into 3rd from last place at least! Did my 13 miles on Sunday and haven't been able to run since, courtesy of sore leg muscles and a really unpleasant blister under my toenail! Like you, I'm waiting 'til Thursday, and also like you I'm not planning to miss the long run on Sunday... I hope all this hard work will be worth it!

Happy training

Alison
Brisbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best offer I've had for ages

Post  ptc575757 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Just got back from 'Boots' ....... bought the massage cream , and I'm ready for action Twisted Evil can't wait! Lee the Pea you've made an old man very happy I love you it will be worth losing my title...... now which leg should I start on first.. um!

Grandad Phil

ptc575757

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee the Pea on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:34 pm

hahahahahaha! Great stuff then, i'll look forward to my massage Laughing Could do with one now though I tell you, my knee is still giving me gyp! Wink
Lee the Pea

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/leethemarathonrunningpea

Back to top Go down

run like the wind!

Post  sazzle on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:19 am

Hello

Cant beleive there is only 5 weeks left! Got the Reading half maratjon next week so hoping for a good time in that

I'm hoping for sub 4 hours but as my first marathon I would really just like to enjoy it (if thats possible when you're draggin yourself round 26.2 miles!)

Happy training Smile Very Happy
sazzle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Finishing time? How long does the finish line stay open?

Post  Brisbit on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:47 am

Oh dear... Rubbish training session today. Was meant to be a 2 hour 45 mins run, but only did the 45 mins and stopped 3 times :-( On this basis, I'm looking at walking most of the way and getting a really really bad time :-( And yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself - hopefully in 5 weeks time I'll be having a better day!
Brisbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The dreaded WALL

Post  JSIMMONDS on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:47 am

The Wall: I found it on Friday.
Just a bowl of cereal for breakfast and then a chicken and salad roll for lunch was not ideal preparation for an 18 mile run.

At 14 miles, I had a massive sense of humour failure and just wanted to sit down. I walked/ran for 2.5 miles more and then totally crashed. Water and pitta bread followed after which, I felt much better.

I know what it is now. Be afraid. Be very afraid. I am determined never to go there again.

Lee - I know what you mean about knees. I am sooooo fed up with my knee hurting!

See all you fellow Reading runners next Sunday (when I will have had at least two bowls of the wonder food: porridge).
Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

43667 + 1

Post  ptc575757 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:29 am

Hello everyone,

43667 is my race number and the 1 is my very sore left knee!!!! I find some comfort in everyone's problem (sorry) I thought it was just me. I had planned a 3hour / 18mile run yesterday, but no way, my left knee was very sore , I had a cartilage op on my right knee 20 years ago and that seems to be holding up ok, but the left, phew! too much squash and rugby as a lad. There was no way that I was going to miss out on a session yesterday so went on the treadmill for 14km then gym bike for 15km , managed ok but felt the discomfort throughout the training. By now , if you read the manuals we should be at 15miles in comfort, so I'm pretty low today. I don't know what the best plan is, rest or run through it? any words of advice? lotions, potions, straps, wraps what will help? I think I peaked in my training last October, the first month was great but it's been down hill since. I have now reviewed my race strategy.... run, walk, hop, crawl, a rope for the 'wall' , piggy back, taxi... and yes I will be retaining my title 'last one home' I have now to decide what I should put in my 'packed lunch/tea/supper'

A Grandad Phil feeling his age, which is very close to my race number.

ptc575757

Back to top Go down

Knees and race numbers

Post  JSIMMONDS on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:40 am

I sympathise Grandad Phil, my left knee has been singing a soprano all weekend.
My phsio said that all seemed well in all the surrounding muscles and the knee was tracking okay. She did work on my IT band with THE ELBOW (ow!) but says that the knee pain is probably just deep bruising and the only way for it to recover fully is full rest. But I can run through it as long as I can stand the pain - nice.

My new plan is to eat as many complex carbs as I can (porridge for breakfast, lunch and dinner, on top of normal food!) and stick to the weekend long run distances then a 2 day break, then swimming, gym and two more shorter runs.
That is going to have to see me round I am afraid.
Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

Confused Old Man

Post  ptc575757 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi Jon

Thanks for your comments, I had a rest yesterday, but all day and all day today my knee was quite painful. I've just got back from the gym and have just run 18km none stop , a little discomfort but all ok !!!!! now I am confused, why after having discomfort just walking can I run 18km ? and if I had more time I could have continued. Is there a Doctor in the house? very strange scratch Like you say you just have to put up with the pain, and get on with it.

Now I am going to sound a bit girly, does anybody know what size the kit bag is we get to put our bits and bobs in thats left on the coach, I need to plan what I take to the run , cos I'm all by myself with nobody to hold onto my thingys... ah, poor old man.

Grandad Phil

ptc575757

Back to top Go down

Knee

Post  JSIMMONDS on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 am

Can't help with the kit bag although Rob may be able to...

My knee is identical to yours - I feel it (more discomfort or a niggle than pain) when I walk, but running is usually okay (until about 5 miles when the pain begins).
Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

Kit Bags

Post  Rob on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:07 am

Hi all,

From what I can remember the kit bag is quite large - maybe two thirds the size of a black bag. It was certainly big enough to fit my day sack / small rucksack in. Enough for a complete change of clothes, including shoes.

You won't need a big towel for the post race shower as these are provided in the hotel. BTW that was one of the best showers ever... Laughing

Hope that helps

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kit Bag & three legged race

Post  ptc575757 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks for the kit bag info Rob.

Now with all the talk of bad knees, I think the only way to overcome our problems is to have several three legged teams... anybody up for it?

Do you think we will have to undergo a drugs test? if so will they be able to tell that I will be high on painkillers cyclops

Grandad Phil ( just think next year I'll get free swimming, free bus pass and a free granny Embarassed )

ptc575757

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next