Gym V Road

Go down

Gym V Road

Post  Mark on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:41 am

I started my full training programme last week (I'm following the one that can be found in the latest issue of Runners World Magazine) and for the last week and for the month previous I have stayed in the gym, however I now beleive it's time to head out into the cold.

Is there much differance to training on the road compared to the gym? I suppose I will miss the swim after and the steam room and suana but it's easy to lack motivation on a treadmill.

Would be greatful for anyones thoughts??

Cheers

Mark

P.S Anyone who lives in London (I live in Mile End) and would like a running partner, please drop me a line!
Mark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gym Bunny or Road plodder?

Post  Rob on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Mark

Well I was a treadmill runner when I started out. In the end I gave up the gym membership as I was running outside so much.

I do miss the swim / steam after a session, but I enjoy being outside a lot more.

As well as being able to vary the route I take so it is less boring than looking at the gym wall etc I find I can control my temperature a lot better - unzipping my jacket, wearing long sleeve / short sleeve tops, shorts etc. The gym I used to use always seemed very hot.

I think the most important benefit for me is pacing. In the gym, you set the speed on the machine and you have to stick to it to keep upright. However outside you have to push on and rely on yourself to keep going. Important in a race I guess.

So, for me - running outside now wins.

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gym V Road

Post  Mark on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:00 am

Cheers Rob

The great outdoors it is, the odd session in the gym would be nice I guess but most are overpriced.

From my first real session outside yesterday (Victora Park is lovely) the difference in running is noticable. Shocked
Mark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Intervals

Post  Rufus on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:49 pm

Hello,

Mark - so far I have really appreciated the gym for interval training (which I have only recently just started).

Saying that I am planning to take these sessions outside - so if anyone has any handy hints that would be fantastic.

Rx

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gym V Road

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down