What will the money I raise be used for?

Go down

What will the money I raise be used for?

Post  Rob on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:19 am

I guess the obvious use is helping to pay the phone bill. Although most of the calls Samaritans take are inbound and therefore paid for by the person contacting us, there are many occasions when we have to make outbound calls. We will ring a person back if their mobile is low on credit for example. We will offer to phone a person back if we feel they would benefit from a call at a later time - a few examples may include in an hour, a few hours or after a doctors appointment.

In many branches, at the end of each shift the Samaritans will contact their Leader by phone to talk through the calls they have taken, particularly the more distressing ones - this helps the Samaritan cope with the call and help them get on with the rest of their life.

Other more mundane bills that have to be paid include, gas, water, electricity, council tax (I think) and a TV license (we don't sit and watch EastEnders btw - it is used as a CCTV system to see who is at the door.

Branches are constantly recruiting new volunteers who need to be trained. In many cases venues have to be hired for the training sessions, in addition we need to provide handouts etc.

There are many other costs associated with the properties we use, decoration, repairs, chairs and admin duties from keeping statistics to providing paper to print out the emails we respond to. And not forgetting tea, milk, coffee etc to help the Samaritans get through the night shifts.

So, the everything you raise by putting in the training miles, running races and collecting the money from those sponsoring you will go towards all of the above costs.

They do something else though, help the thousands of Samaritans around the UK listen to those who need us in a time of crisis.

Keep at it everyone!

Rob bounce
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What will the money I raise be used for?

Post  Rufus on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks for this info Rob. Bit of an ask but it was suggested (on the meet the experts day) that it might be good to articulate what, say, £10 would equate to. Do you think that is possible to do? I was thinking that I would put it on my justgiving site, if not then I will just use the info above.

Rxx

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What will £10 do?

Post  Rob on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Well, I am not too sure. I have emailled Stephen and Ann at Samaritans General Office - they probably have a better idea.

Watch this space...

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rufus on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks Rob. Tricky to pin down I imagine but it would be great if poss.

Rx

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Not £10, but £50

Post  Rob on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi - this is an extract from a letter I found on our Samaritans Intranet.

"For every £50 I raise, Samaritans can answer another 25 calls on their national number (08457 90 90 90). The national number means that the caller only pays the local rate, and that they get diverted to the nearest available Samaritan volunteer who is waiting for their call 24 hours of every day. "

It's a start...

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What will the money I raised be used for?

Post  Lucia on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:22 am

Hello all,

In response to Rufus' question, I thought I would put up some info that is used in our Direct Marketing campaigns. I've got them on my justgiving page to give people who wish to donate an idea of where their money goes. I've also included some stats (again on my justgiving page) which people might be interested in or want to use Smile

£2.29 will pay for the cost of one call

£22.90 will pay for the cost of 10 calls

£36.46 will pay for one phone line for 24 hours

£94.32 keeps a branch running for 24 hours

£109.00 pays for 6 months Samaritans Initial Training (SIT 1)

£418.20 pays to run the entire Samaritans network for 20 minutes

1. Samaritans is contacted every 6 seconds by people in need of support.

2. Samaritans currently has 14,433 active volunteers.

3. Over the course of one year volunteers give an average of 2,058,744 hours of their time to provide confidential emotional support.

4.This amounts to an average of over 20 working days a year per active volunteer with 2,761,984 dialogue contacts alone in 2007.

5. If the volunteers were paid an average wage of £11.34 per hour, the cost to Samaritans would be £23.3m per year.

6. On average there is one death from suicide every 90 minutes across the UK and Ireland.

7. Every year there are approx. 24,000 cases of attempted suicide by young people aged 10-19 years in England and Wales alone. This is one attempt every 20 minutes.

8. Since 1984, the organisation has received 61 million contacts in which people felt able to speak.

9. Samaritans volunteers cover 582 telephone help lines 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week, 365 days-a-year.

10. People believe that Samaritans doesn’t need as much money as other charities because it is government funded - it isn’t 97% of our funding comes from public donations.

I hope this helps a bit! Any other questions, please ask and I'll do what I can to get more info Smile
Lucia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wow!

Post  Rufus on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:48 pm

This is great detail - thank you both Rob & Lucia - this is exactly what I was looking for and much more. Thanks Rx

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down