Gear for the day

Go down

Gear for the day

Post  JSIMMONDS on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:20 am

There is a bewildering array of advice on what gear to take with you to the marathon.

I am staying overnight in Southwark with a friend who is also running. Our wives will also be there so we can offload stuff on to them, but I am assuming that we won't be able to do that when we are on the start line?

So...my questions are:

1. Everyone says come prepared for changes in the weather. I flatly refuse to take a suitcase or even a backpack with me whilst running 26 miles so how do you manage that?

2. Everyone says take fuel with you. I was planning on taking jelly babies (I like the one per mile idea) but where do you put them?

3. Other things I have been advised to carry - plasters, spare laces, sports drink, raisins, waterproof windcheater. How about the kitchen sink?

Now, my immediate response is to say "stuff that, I'm, going to take with me what I take on my long runs, minus the water and sports drinks as they are provided along the way". So that means no extra clothes, no laces, no raisins etc etc. But I really want to take jelly babies.

Any advice anyone?
Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

What I took last year

Post  Rob on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:40 am

Jon

Last year I ran with:

Long sleeved top & long leggings - forecast was for cold / wet day.

Water bottle & belt - I hate glugging lots of water / drinks in one go, I prefer regular sips.

Small bag - tied to belt with gels in.

Mobile phone - in pocket on belt - to keep in touch with family etc so I knew where they were for waving, hugs & kisses etc

Tutu & wings...

I left some warm clothes etc in the bag provided - this went on the lorry to pick up at the end.

Incidentally I wore a bin bag on my top half whilst waiting - sure you will have seen this at other races.

No spare laces, or waterproof - I don't think I would enjoy running with one round my waist as well as the tutu.

My wife brought me the best bacon sarnie I have ever eaten!

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gear for the day

Post  JSIMMONDS on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 am

Water bottle and belt - sounds like a good idea. Where do I find a lightweight one of those?
Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

What to wear on the day

Post  Angela121 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:46 pm

This is my first marathon but I have ran some 10ks and a couple of half marathons so have a little 'race experience' to share. The main thing is to test out everything that you are going to wear /use on the day in training.

e.g

socks
underwear
leggings
water bottle and belt (I got friction burns from using the belt so need to rethink how to manage that)
belt and energy gels (i prefer these to jelly babies)

Very very important to get used to drinks (lucozade) and gels/alternative during training and work out how many you need and when. It will take time for your tummy to get used to them and better to settle down on shorter runs rather than get a few nasty and immediate suprises on race day!!!!!!!!

You can also get long suffering wife/husband/friends to be at certain mile markers along the track to give you refuel bottles/energy gels

Thats all from me for now. Good luck everyone. Very Happy

Angela121

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gear for the day

Post  ajmcd on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:26 pm

i have helpful idea for the water

from sports shops you can buy a back pack which holds water with a pipe to drink out of sort of like a hiking type drinkin bag but it straps to your back

i use it for doing tigger on stilts in the parade at disney and its amazing bringing that along but just thought it wud b a good idea to share does mean you cant have any other bag and it increase your weight by 2 litres
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thanks and tutus

Post  angela on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:15 am

Thank you everyone for your messages and good wishes following my Dad's death.
I haven;t had much time to investigate the tutu and wings issue - where's the best place to get the stuff in green and how to make something that's strong and light?
BW Angela

angela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Green Tutu stuff!

Post  Rob on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:19 am

I am afraid I am not going to be of much help here - mostly because, despite being 40 something, my Mum made my tutu and wings for me... Embarassed
Sorry!

However, I stitch the tutu to the belt that my bottle goes into and the wings are stitched onto my Samaritans running vest...

It is comfortable, for me, like that...

Hope that helps a little

EDIT - the other thing - make sure the wings don't flop down and rub on the back of your arms - most irritating - I must stitch them higher up for London. Also, check that the tutu does not rub on your legs - this was why I ended up with long running tights last year as my shorts were too short - I now have some knee length shorts (in unflattering lycra! affraid ) so the tutu does not rub on my thighs.

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

shirt

Post  Lee the Pea on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:59 am

Morning folks,
i'm thinking about not wearing the Sams running vest on the day, is that really bad?! I've tried it on, but I just don't like running in that kind of top, and would rather stick to my running jacket - it has removable arms if it gets too hot! Of course only issue is I wouldn't be wearing anything with Sams on it......hmm, need to consider this further I think!
LtP
Lee the Pea

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/leethemarathonrunningpea

Back to top Go down

Fairy outfit

Post  Rufus on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:19 am

Hellu,

I have to admit my mother-in-law made/bought mine too, however I can at least impart what I know.

Tutu - she bought green netting and sowed layers of it on to a piece of elastic, with a safety pin to hold it together. So it can be adjusted too.
Wings etc - all bought from Claire's accessories I think; came with matching wand - though I didn't run with this at Reading and won't on the Big Day plus headband with antenna - did use these (only fell off once due to a small gust of wind ;-)

Hope that helps.

Rx

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gear for the day

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down