watches for running

Go down

watches for running

Post  angela on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:20 am

Hello everyone
Hope you're all well. I've been a bit quiet as my Dad was admitted to ITU in early January with heart, respiratory and kidney failure. Amazingly he has managed to survive after having the most tubes I've ever seen attached to one person, and has now left ITU, but will be many weeks or even months in hospital. He's certainly running his own marathon.
As a result the time available to me for training has been somewhat curtailed as visiting him has been and is a priority, but I'm still managing to get in a long run every fortnight and am currently pounding my legs with some hill training .......!
I wondered if anyone could give me some advice about whether getting a Garmin or Polar watch measuring heart rate and distance etc would be worth the investment - both for helping with training and on the actual day for measuring speed per mile. After this marathon I'm probably going to go back to running halves.
Any ideas and advice on makes and models (something that's easy to use) would be great
Go well everyone
Angela

angela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Running Watches

Post  Rob on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:54 am

Hi Angela

Sorry to hear about your Dad- it has been bad enough finding time for the running with a fit and well family. I admire your determination - it could have been easy to throw in the towel!

Right, watches. I thought about this for quite some time and went for a Garmin 405 in the end. A friend has a 305 and I looked at what that could do, so it was helpful to see how he used it and how it worked.

For me the most useful functions are:

* Downloading the route taken to see how far I had run
* Virtual training partner / pacing guide
* Uploading training routines - so I can set the running / recovery periods

I do use the HRM but more out of curiosity than as a training tool. To be honest I don't fully understand the heart rate training thing - something I may look at to lose a bit more weight though.

My main thought for getting the Garmin was that I am determined to keep the running going and the watch was an investment that will keep me going for some years.

One thing though, the manual is not the best. It took me some time to figure out how to run the sessions you upload. There are lots of guides on YouTube that help.

If you have any direct questions, let me know.

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

watches

Post  JSIMMONDS on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:34 am

Angela/Rob
I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 - definitely worth the money in my book. I love it! Just head out and track how far, your pace, gives you split times, beeps at you when intervals are due to start, measures heart rates and puts it all on a fancy chart on your PC.
Love it!
Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

Re: watches for running

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down