another one to join the 3 legged

Go down

another one to join the 3 legged

Post  ajmcd on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:10 pm

hey guys looks like im going to be walking with you all now as i fell today on my stilts and dislocated my left knee nothing major but the running might take some toll on it so sign me up for the 3 legged race
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How is your

Post  Rob on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:40 am

knee doing?

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: another one to join the 3 legged

Post  ajmcd on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:10 pm

going for a scan on friday its sore and swollen but i dnt care will walk if i have too.
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Knee trouble

Post  JSIMMONDS on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:38 am

Nightmare! And you had high hopes of a really fast time too. Hope your recovery is quick.
Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee the Pea on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi ajmcd, hope your knee is better. I've been to the physio about my knee today....inflammed medial ligament! She strapped it up, and i've to try running and see how it goes. I went for a 5 miler this morning before work but had to stop before 2 miles Sad Fingers crossed things will be okay. i walk the whole lot if i have to! *she says PRAYING i don't have to walk the whole way affraid *
Lee the Pea

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/leethemarathonrunningpea

Back to top Go down

Post  ajmcd on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:40 pm

yeah bit pissed off to say the least just hope i havent snapped the tendon

i had an acl ligament replaced a couple of years back and its that knee thats gone
swelling has started to go down but hurt like F*** lol

find out tomorrow what up fingers crossed
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Walk Run

Post  Rob on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Have you guys considered a walk / run strategy?

Last year one of the Sam runners did this and it worked. I have read articles where peeps have adopted this approach when recovering from an injury and achieved a PB. Exclamation Maybe worth looking at it in a bit more detail... Better to finish that way than screw your leg / knee / ligaments whatever up in the long term... Smile
Some links that may give some food for thought...

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Run-walk-run_to_faster_times__faster_recovery.htm
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

run walk

Post  Lee the Pea on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:35 pm

Yeah I actually use a run walk strategy already, as my training hasn't been that consistent due to lost time from lots of little niggles, and I thought it would be a good way to build up miles without overdoing it. I run for 11 mins, then walk for 1. Seems to work well for me. So i'll be doing that on the day anyway. I did it for the Brighton Half this year, and beat my last half mara PB by 17s, and I ran every step of the first one!!! I used to think it was cheating, but now I think it is sensible! pig
Lee the Pea

Back to top Go down

Oh dear, the title's mine.

Post  ptc575757 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:00 am

hello you lot,

Guess who I'm going to see tomorrow..... the physio with my sore knee, what a load of crocks we are. I've not run for over a week now, tried rest, ice packs, pills and potions, straps and even one of those Trion:z bands, but still sore. If someone said , stand on one leg with a turnip up your b..m! and a grape in your left ear, I'd do it just to get it sorted. I went to a 'Sweatshop' store on Monday for a new pair of pumps, the ones I bought in October had covered 700 miles so I thought they may need a change, how right I was. I compared them with a brand new pair/same model and it was amazing how they had deterioated. I had my gait filmed to see my running style, I always thought it was a bit of a scam, but believe me anyone who does any long distance running must have this done just to see what type of shoe is best. My left leg/foot hits the floor in a different way than my right, hence my problem, my foot was rolling to far hence causing my medial ligament thingy to be stretched ( so the man said ) I bought a pair of Ascis with a firmer edge/sole to stop excessive rolling, I had a pair of 'neutral' pumps which weren't correct! we will see when I get to use them. Run / Walk strategy ..... yep thats me. I had always planned that, but I was trying to run for 23/24 miles with walks around the drinks stations, that will have to change now. We've all trained so hard and for months so not being there in affraid three weeks is not an option, is it!

I have decided on cheese for lunch butties and for tea the Palace will have ham butties for 12 ready at 5.30, please let me have your name and number so I can let Liz know queen

One thing is a cert now , I have won the title 'LAST ONE HOME' pretenders will be shot at dawn.

GREAT grandad Phil

ptc575757

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/philipcurwen

Back to top Go down

Run/walk

Post  JSIMMONDS on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:29 am

Firstly, the addition of the word "GREAT" into your title did not go unnoticed - are congratulations in order?

Secondly, Rob has a point about the walk/run strategy. I read an article about this in which a study was carried out using 100 runners who are semi-experienced (a bit like us). They ran one marathon trying their best to run all the way. Then two months later, after following the same exercise plan as they had been before, they ran another one, adopting a walk/run strategy (running for 2 miles, followed by walking for 30 seconds). In EVERY case, the final time was significantly faster for the run/walk strategy, and injuries were also significantly fewer.

Worth thinking about. In my long run (18 miles) last week, I averaged around 9.1 minutes per mile for the first 14 miles, then I adopted the walk/run strategy and the last 4 miles were averaged at around 10.2 minutes per mile, which I was still pleased with. I have no doubt that I could not have run the remaining 8 miles of a marathon but I definitely could have walked/run it.

Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

dodgy knees

Post  Lee the Pea on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:27 am

Yeah what is going on with our knees?! Think we could get a job lot replacement somewhere??? Now Grandad Phil (the Great), don't you be trying to take back that crown I quietly snaffled off you a couple of weeks ago. Possession is nine tenths of the law, and I'm not giving up my 'last one home' badge without a fight! queen
hehehehe. I got my trainers fitted at a running shop and they filmed it - it really was amazing to see how different shoes made a huge difference. Interesting too that you say your foot is rolling in and hence the medial ligament strain - that is what is wrong with my knee!! Slight difference is that my shoes were fine, but one foot still over pronates too much, so i've got orthotics to correct this, but, eh, I wasn't wearing them on my last long run when I hurt my knee.... Embarassed oops! I know, i'm stupid. Lessoned well and truly learned!!! The physio strapped my knee yesterday, and I went out and ran round the block a minute ago. Strapping defo helped, but knee still sore, so i'm not going to do the Edinburgh Half (or the extra 5 miles i'd planned) this Sunday Sad I think the rest would be better than squeezing in another long run. As you say Great Grandad P, there is no way we're not getting to that start line!!! flower
Lee the Pea

Back to top Go down

p.s.

Post  Lee the Pea on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:29 am

can i really consider myself semi-experienced?! Woo hoooooooooo!!! My abilities have just increased ten-fold sunny
Lee the Pea

Back to top Go down

Post  ajmcd on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:44 am

good news and bad news

KNEE IS FINE WHOOP just pulled the muscles around it and over stretched the muscles

bad news no sport for 2.5 weeks now so im fit to start on the 24th

so its ok for marathon thank god but means my training is out the window

I HAVE AN EXCUSE TO BE LAZY AND NOT TRAIN HELL YEAH HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME LOL
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Belated Happy Birthday

Post  Rob on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:35 am

glad the knee is not a long term thing. Lucky you not having to train Wink

Rob
Rob

View user profile