Strapline for Marathon 2009.... To be fairies or not to be...

Go down

Strapline for Marathon 2009.... To be fairies or not to be...

Post  Rufus on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:41 pm

Hello,

Just thought I would get the ball rolling regarding a strapline / fancy dress theme for the marathon....

Personally I think if we come up with something good it is going to help me to 'sell' it to people and improve my fundraising ability, plus it should really make us feel like a team (as we will all look silly together ;-) I keep trying to think of sayings that may have a number in it like.... "50 fairies around the world" (aka "80 days around the world" / "Around the World in 80 days" - which doesn't work as well)... there must be other 'play on words' we could do. Any suggestions?? Question

Stephen mentioned 'Samaritans Run The World' which I think is good - but it would be good to get our theme in there somehow too... something that could grab media attention and/or attention on the Samaritans website to draw people in. Perhaps Claire (PR) could help? Question

The other idea from Jon (I am assuming Jon is JSimmonds on this site) & Rob was to count the number of miles that we all do in training so that we can measure how far around the world we get. The thought being that 50 people training approx 500miles would travel 25000 miles (which is the circumference of the earth). If we all count the number of miles we have trained since we found out we had places in the Marathon - that could get us close to this distance. Idea

Ok so a bit of a brain dump!

Hope this helps to get the discussions started.
Rx

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Me again.... Samaritans have been running for 55 years and still going....?

Post  Rufus on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:57 pm

Ok so me again - sorry! Just been speaking to people for inspiration and here's the trail of thought - if anyone can make this into something useful / good then please do.

Samaritans was founded in 1953, which means that they are 55 years old this year (hmm could be an issue as the below does not really work for 56!).
55 is LV in roman numerals
LV is similar to the word LoVe
We could dress as Cupids (rather than fairies) to help the theme - with wings etc. but perhaps have bows and arrows slung over a shoulder (obviously light weight).
also if there are 55 of us running - we could each run with a t-shirt with the word LoVe on it or with a year on it (ie we are each assigned a year) or we are each assigned a number 1 to 55 (or how ever many there are of us).

It's not perfect but again another idea for the pot... Exclamation

Rx

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Marathon 2009

Post  Lucia on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi all,

I was just looking at Rufus' last post, LV could also stand for Listening Volunteer? Or is that a bit too corny Question

I agree a good strap line will help publicise and sell the fundraising to people, I'm certainly game to wear the green tutu or that sort of costume and I liked Jon and Francis' idea of Samaritans running the world, you could say something like, 'Samaritans are running the world...from ear to ear' instead of 'ere to 'ere Exclamation But again people might think thats a bit naff.

Great to get the ball rolling though.
I'm going away to think on it a bit more!

Smile
Lucia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strapline for Marathon 2009.... To be fairies or not to be...

Post  JSIMMONDS on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:43 am

My thoughts on the fairy idea...

Two things jump to mind.
1. I am more than happy to wear anything as long as it does not hinder running! So a small tutu like Rob's is okay, but a full-on cupid costume might be a bit much. Sorry - my first marathon and I am nervous enough without worrying about all the extra bits!

2. Not sure if we can assume that all the Samaritans runners will fall in line and wear the costume, so it would probably better to be worn on a voluntary basis.

On this basis, I like the t-shirt idea with LoVe written on it and numbered 1 to 55. How about the line:
"LoVe - Samaritans -55 years of listening".
We could also knock up a whole load of really basic Samaritans branded flyers with a grid on numbered 1-55 and hand them out to kids in the crowd before the race and see how many of the runners they can tick off on their grid. Good publicity and I reckon the BBC might be interested in it.

Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

Team title 2009

Post  Stephen_Wilkie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:12 am

Folks,

It looks like I've got nothing to do but sit on this forum and write messages but I'm really just trying to make sure you have as many details available to you as possible.

I'm hoping to get all the aspects of strap-line and potential costume agreed by you before the end of the year so we can really make a big deal of the Team PR and marketing in the early new year. The next team meeting "up north" will probably include a launch of PR matrials and the decisions we make regarding "running the world" and how what we agree on regarding the costume.

Any further suggestions please post them here for everyone to discuss. Remember we will probably see an increase in members over the next week or so, so please re-visit the topics untill we have a group decision.

Stephen

Stephen_Wilkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spot the samaritans

Post  Rufus on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 pm

Jon - completely love the idea of a grid for children to use to 'spot' samaritans as they run past, really interactive and entertaining. Happy with all comments so far, I'm easy with what we do.

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ajmcd on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:41 am

i think the roman numeral idea is really good one and getting the interactive list is definaltely a good idea for increasing publicity

not to sure about the dressing up cos i want to run it properly as im settin myself a target time to try and beat - i am going to attempt to do it in less than 2hours 30 mins

got a bet going with some work colleagues that i can do it in that time so if i can beat it i will get more money.
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JSIMMONDS on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:43 am

2 hours 30 ????? !!!!!
Blimey. What about the second half?
Very Happy
Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

Post  ajmcd on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:31 am

wel i did 10 miles in like an hour the other week (one of the instances i actually got my ass out of bed lol ) so i think its good target time plus could double money so why not try i dont loose if i dont hit it.

plus im a bit crazy and love pushin it to the limit lol
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

To Be Or Not To Fairies ???

Post  mummylonglegs on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am

Hi All......

Has anyone had any ideas on the theme of our dressing up code or not? ....... Are we going with the green fairies theme???

love Linda (mummylonglegs)
mummylonglegs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:11 am

I wanted to run as a Thunderbird with a green sash (none of them wore a green one) and instead of having International Rescue, I was going to have Emotional Rescue.

Bit over the top? Maybe, but your mind does wonder on night duties.
Mark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down