Seeking Sponsorship

Go down

Seeking Sponsorship

Post  Rob on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:45 am

Hi all

I thought it might be worth sharing some of my experience of trying to extract money from people / organisations.

Firstly, and most obviously - friends and family. A soft target I guess, but don't be proud - I did draw the line at asking my wife, she suffered enough with the early morning runs!

Next colleagues - they were happy to put money my way - I think the promise of me running in a tutu helped! I provided a number of photos that we then spread around the company.

Work - I work for a high street bank based in Scotland, that you now partly own! They have (had??) a scheme where money I raised was matched up to a max of £500 - so I got that from them. I understand other companies do the same. The easiest £500 I raised - I just needed a letter from the Samaritans Branch Treasurer to send with a form. A cheque arrived two weeks later - easy!

Local Companies. I approached a number of local companies, including shops and pubs that we frequent. I made a big error in my approach here I think - I posted the letters. I got no response from any of them - I suspect if I had taken the letter in and handed it over in person to the Manager I might have faired better.

Local Lions / Rotary Clubs etc. I sent quite a few emails / letters. I got the details on-line. Some had forms to fill out, others an email address or postal box etc. Mixed results. Two came back with money. A couple came back saying they would fund a specific thing if my Branch needed it (we have kept those details!). One group gave me £500 and I was invited to talk to them after their dinner one week. A good chance to tell them about Samaritans.

With every letter I enclosed a leaflet: "Introducing Samaritans" - we had these in our Branch - I guess Stephen or Ann will be able to send you copies of that or something similar if you ask nicely.

If anyone is interested in having copies of the letter template I used I am happy to forward it on - just contact me off list and I will email it to you.

Oh, and be prepared to write lots of emails / letters and get few replies - it is a bit disheartening, but I gather that is just the way it is - it is not your fault or anything you have done wrong! Laughing

Good Luck!

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Seeking Sponsorship

Post  Bruce Mo on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:57 pm

i was just wondering when everyone is planning to do then main part of their fundraising appeal? I would like to get started on mine but it seems a bit early to notify people. If most people are like me, they will just think its still a long way off and will decide to pledge some money nearer the time, and then maybe completely forget!! I was thinking about sending my emails, letters, begging notes out from around the beginning of March - but just wanted to check what everyone else is doing? Thanks

Bruce Mo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Letter Template

Post  ajmcd on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:33 pm

Hey Rob I tried to pm you but the internet here keeps playing up everytime i click send. lol. could you send me a copy of the letter template to a.j.mcd@hotmail.com i would really appreciate it as my letter writing skills suck big time lol

Cheers A.J
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fundraising

Post  JSIMMONDS on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:40 am

I have just sent out my begging e-mail last week. Got about £100 already out of it. Add together the sponsorship work are offering and I am nearly half way there.
I am just about to start planning a quiz night with ploughmans supper locally. I reckon I can sell tickets for about £6 each to include entry into the quiz and a ploughmans supper.
Our local off-licence also does a "sale or return" thing with the drink so I can sell the alcohol there too. For info, if any of you are doing this, you need to get a licence to sell the booze, but you can get round it by accepting "voluntary contributions" for each drink instead - (i.e. put up a sign saying something like "suggested voluntary contribution £2 per drink"). I'm hoping to make up a few hundred pounds that way. I might even do a raffle.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

Sponsorship drying up

Post  JSIMMONDS on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 am

£2000 is such a lot of money! When you get a £20 sponsorship, it feels like a lot but it is only 1%. I have really pushed sponsorship, doing a sweepstake, a raffle, corporate sponsorship and arranging a fun morning for kids. I really think it is starting to dry up now but I am concerned. I reckon, once all the above have been accounted for, that I'll be up to around £1500, but that is still £500 short. I have no idea where I can go for that extra £500 and am a bit lost.

To be honest, I really want to focus on the training rather than the stress of fundraising. What happens if we don't make it to the magic £2000 mark?
Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Mo on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm with you on this Jon. I'm having trouble getting more money and its starting to occupy my thoughts rather that the training for the run. i think people are just a lot more careful with their money in the current climate.

Bruce Mo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I sympathise!

Post  Rob on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Have you tried writing / contacting the local Lions, Rotary etc - they may find you a few quid...

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Money, Money, Money

Post  Rob on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:42 am

Just a thought - have those of you not running for a particular branch been in contact with your local branch to see if they can lend you a hand / seek the support of those volunteering within the branch?

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sponsorship

Post  Lucia on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:59 am

Just a thought for anyone looking for sponsoship ideas.

I'm thinking of doing a silent auction at work to raise some money, it works by you committing to do something (in my case cook an Italian dinner) then you set a time limit for bidding and get people to email you with their bids. It's fairly straightforward as I agree with the winner what they wantto eat, I give them a shopping list, they buy the food and I turn up and cook it. Smile

It doesn't have to be a dinner though, you could offer to be a taxi service for an evening, do some ironing, painting, tuition, etc. It does help if its something you enjoy anyway!

In previous years I've seen people get friends involved and hold an auction of promises, which is basically the same thing but your friends commit to doing tasks too.

I hope the idea might help as it is getting tough now and I know everyone wants to concentrate on the training. I do know that the charity are very grateful for whatever you can raise and they wouldn't expect you to make up any shortfall Smile
Lucia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My body is up for sale!!!

Post  ptc575757 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:52 am

Thought that might get you interested, you naughty things Evil or Very Mad Well my body is up for auction , but as of yet no takers, not even the odd granny (or ex wife) lol!

Grandad Phil

ptc575757

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/philipcurwen

Back to top Go down

Grandad Phil

Post  Rob on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Please give me some time to think about your offer... Wink

Rob
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sazzle on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Does anyone know wht are the consequences if you fail to raise the target amount? Do you have to meet the £2000 from your own pocket?
sazzle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ajmcd on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:30 pm

a company i have been incontact with said they have agreed to sponsor me but they want me to have the nemae of there company on my vest as well as some advertisement for them can we do this or not
ajmcd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sponsorship

Post  JSIMMONDS on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:39 am

ajmcd - don't see why not. Probably best to ask Stephen or Ann though.

sazzle - I think the answer to your question is no, they won't ask you to make it up. However, they will give you loads of help if you are struggling, so it is worth speaking to Stephen about it.

Jon
JSIMMONDS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down