How was it for you???

Go down

How was it for you???

Post  Brisbit on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:24 am

Hi folks!

How did you get on, and how sore are you feeling today??? I see Rob's already commented on how hot it was - turned my (over-ambitious) under 5 hour time into a just under 6 - I was beaten by several rhinos, two apples, Little Miss Sunshine, a camel a nun and some of the seven dwarves!?! BUT, I beat Jordan and Peter Andre, The Beatles and Elvis Very Happy

Have to say, the Samaritans support after the event was BRILLIANT.

Off to soak my feet now... I only have 2 toes that are blister free, so walking is challenging today!

WELL DONE EVERYBODY!

Alison x
Brisbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How was it for you?

Post  Rob on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:37 am

Yup, hot Exclamation

I may lose another toenail pale , but no blisters.

The massage at the hotel was most welcome and helped me a lot I think.

Feeling a little tight in my thighs today and the soles of my feet ache a bit.

When we got back home last night we went out for food and a couple of beers drunken the beer has seldom tasted so good...
Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How was it for you

Post  JSIMMONDS on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 am

In short...it was brilliant.
In long...it was painful, emotional (I must have cried more yesterday than in the last 10 years), fantastic, hot, challenging and magical.

Support was truly unbelievable. Samaritans were magnificent.
Legs achy this morning but nothing too bad (although getting out of bed was a challenge). Pretty pleased with 4h34m on reflection - the conditions were far from ideal.

Congratulations to everyone and nice to meet you all at last!
Jon
JSIMMONDS

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/jonsimmonds

Back to top Go down

Re: How was it for you???

Post  Jen on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:47 am

It took me a whopping 6 hours and 5 minutes. But I still beat Jordan & Peter by an hour and 6 minutes, that's good enough for me.

An amazing experience, but I actually feel like I've been run over today. Think I might have another crack at it in a few years time and actually train for it properly to see if I can do better.

Sorry not to have come to the do at the end, I just wanted to get back home before I sat down, I was worried I would never be able to stand up again!

Jen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:17 am

I'm happy with my time but the weather slowed me up - the midday sun around Canery Wharf was a killer and I didn't fuel up properley so the carbo gels gave a really sick feeling Embarassed
Mark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Mo on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:58 am

Likewise I agree it was quite an experience. Unfortunately I didnt meet everyone - arrived too late for the photo and I was quite ill after finishing so decided to get home straight away and havent really left here since!! But i managed 3.39 which was better than i hoped. Anyway just wanted to give everyone a hearty well done, not just for the training and competing yesterday, but also for the fundraising which has been just as tough (from my experience anyway!)

Bruce Mo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Well it is over.....

Post  Rufus on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:05 pm

... what now?

Well I don't know about you but I am loving the fact that I have well and truly earned a rest from running and the gym. May consider going back next week but currently loving the lie-ins.

As for the day itself - wow - how hard was it? And as for crying, I didn't burst into tears on the finish line as I expected to do, I think I was too busy focusing on standing up, but Jon as you will have noticed was more than on the verge when I saw you and Rob at the hotel, I was just so pleased to be finished and out of the sun.

And what is it about gels and making you feel sick? Personally I also had problems eating afterwards, it was like I had ulcers at the back of my mouth - sorry that reads really horribly - but I am intrigued as to whether anyone else had that. It passed after 24 hours or so.

LOL - did anyone accept any of the food offerings that were being made by spectators, at a walking moment (yes I admit it) I had turned down everything until someone waved jaffa cakes under my nose. Urgh - still makes me laugh at how I could not resist chocolate but I learnt my lesson it tasted horrid (too sugary!).

Anyway I'll stop waffling - WELL DONE EVERYONE!!!! Lovely to have met some of you - apparently the samaritans are planning a get together in a month or so - be lovely to see you all then if you are about.

Rxx

Rufus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Last one home

Post  Lee the Pea on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Hello All! I'm so sorry I didn't make it to the photo or the after party. I was too nervous in the morning to do anything but get to the start, and it took me so long to run I just wanted to get to the pub! I finished in 6:57:55 in the end. I pretty much walked from mile 18 because my knees packed in, but I ran bits of the last mile! Anyway, i'm really happy, because my knee even lasted as long as it did. I had a BRILLIANT day I have to say. I stopped to have a quick chat with my family and friends when I saw them, and even stopped at the St John's Ambulance a couple of times, once to get my knees sprayed with deep freeze, and another time to get a blister sorted, hahaha. I saw Grandad Phil early on, but i'm pretty sure I've won the last one home crown queen Ooh and I beat Jordan by about 14 mins :-)
Lee the Pea

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/leethemarathonrunningpea

Back to top Go down

Didn't win my crown.

Post  ptc575757 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:05 pm

Hello everyone

You must be refreshed by now! Nice to meet the ones I did and maybe meet some others sometime. Didn't win my coveted position, thanks you miserable lot. What a day, words fail me, I'm still buzzing now.

The day started with the photo shoot at 8:30 and just when we were moving away from our position a lady came over to one of our runners and said a big thank you to Sams for saving her life some two years ago. It's not very often we get feedback from callers, we don't expect it , but to hear those few words that morning gave more meaning to my run.

I finished in 4hr 53min, I always said under five hours would have been ok, but I am still dissappointed. I was going great guns untill I hit a human road block around 16miles, only walked for 20yards or so but I then seemed to have lost some momentum. Had problems with my knee from mile 19, so I think I must have run 24miles and fast walked 2 mile. I've just come back from a light session in the gym, all ok apart from my very sore knee.

The event was so well organised , a very big thank you to all the Sam supporters, to Stephen and his team who gave us such a warm welcome and provided months of support. Our new boss is very nice, you must meet her sometime.

If it could be possible I would have liked to thank every single person in the crowd who spurred us on for a full 26mile, they were fantastic. I would like to give a special thank you to the very nice lady who rubbed 'deep heat' into my legs at about 20miles... um! I must have 'slapped'
hundreds of hands, well you had to, didn't you. I was worried for weeks about how I would carry my jelly babies, shouldn't have bothered, lots of outstretched arms with those little treats on offer. Thanks crowd.

I wish I'd taken the advice about putting my name on my shirt, next time. In fact next time I will be wearing fancy dress clown I ran with a Womble for several miles and the crowd just loved him, it made everyone cheer with delight.

What a day.

Grandad Phil..... see you next year.

ptc575757

View user profile http://www.justgiving.com/philipcurwen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum